Francis West Prints: 2017 Edition
Francis West was born in 1936 in Fraserburgh, a fishing community on the Moray Firth in Scotland, where he spent his formative years. Moving to London, after his National Service mostly spent in Malaysia, he studied at the Chelsea School of Art between 1957 and 1959. Francis’ grandfather, a fisherman and a Sunday painter, thought that art as a profession was no work for a man and his father, also a fisherman was of like mind but unable to influence Francis otherwise.
Difficult to categorise in any particular style or movement, his work is steeped in the knowledge of the great traditions of figurative art. An extraordinary draftsman, whether painting, drawing or, as here, engraving, his work exudes an inimitable style of its own, full of wondrous people, mythical creatures and performing animals.
Francis’ career spanned over 40 years, from his first solo show in 1973, to his final collection of paintings, exhibited posthumously in 2016 by the Megan Piper Gallery; some of which were completed just before his untimely death in December 2015. He leaves an extraordinary body of work, which is a testament to his sustained daily commitment to drawing and painting.
His work is included in public collections, including the British Museum, Pallant House Gallery, Arts Council of Great Britain, Victoria and Albert Museum, as well as numerous private collections.
With the kind permission of the artist's wife, Jenny West, a 2017 edition of Francis' engravings has been produced. If you would like to order any of the prints, please consider the following:
- Each engraving is printed by hand, on Somerset soft white paper 300 gsm, by Artichoke Press, Brixton, London
- As printing is by hand, despite every effort being made to achieve consistency of printing, the print tone may vary slightly when images are reproduced
- Prints are produced in a limited edition of 7 and are unframed
- The size in the catalogue refers to the plate size of each engraving
- Delivery time within the United Kingdom is approximately 3 weeks
- Prints are available for collection for free. However, a small charge may apply for postage and packing, if you are unable to collect
- To order prints please contact Henry on 020 8509 2044 / 07769 700290 or email@example.com